Spanish American War Website Banner

The Diary of

Private Wilfred Langley

of the U.S.M.C.ís First Marine Battalion (Reinforced)

Contributed and transcribed by Margaret Farrow Sacks

Pvt. Wilfred Langley, 1st Marine Battalion
Pvt. Wilfred Langley in a photo taken in Cuba in 1898 when he was nineteen years of age

Please Visit our Home Page to learn more about the Spanish American War
Click here to read a history of the First Marine Battalion in the Spanish American War
Click here to read the biorgaphy of Capt. Francis Harrington, Co. F (Artillery)
Click here to read the biorgaphy of 1st Lt. Charles Grant Long, Co. F (Artillery)
Click here to read the biorgaphy of 1st Lt. William McKelvy, Co. F (Artillery)


The folliwing diary was kept by Wilfred Langley, a private in the First Marine Battalion. Langley was involved in the actions in Cuba, such as the capture of Guantanamo. The diary has been transcribed in its original form, with no alterations being made to correct spelling, punctuation or grammer. Some additional notes have been added and are shown in brackets - [ ].

Langley was born on February 21, 1879 and died in 1923. He came from a Protestant English Family and had seven brothers and one sister. Langley's family settled in Durham, New Hamshire.

Langley enlisted at Marine Barracks, at the Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston, Massachusetts, on Saturday, 12 March 1898. On April 22, 1898, while serving at the Marine Barracks at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington DC, he was transferred to the First Marine Battalion at Brooklyn, New York. He was an original member of the First Marine Battalion, being assigned to Captain Francis H. Harrington's Company F (Artillery). Langley was in action at Camp McCalla. After the war he was at Camp Heywood, New Hampshire until September 20, 1898 when he was transferred back to Marine Barracks at Washington Navy Yard, where he reported two days later. In late December, the First Marine Battalion  was reviewed at the White House by President McKinley.

In September, 1898, Langley was granted leave, and reported back to the U.S.M.C. at Brooklyn Navy Yard in November. Here he joined the crew of the refitted CHICAGO, joining her on her trip to New Orleans, Louisiana; Norfolk, Virginia and Cuba

In April, 1902, Pvt. Langley was apparently serving aboard the CHICAGO, which was the flagship of the U.S. Navy's European Squadron. One evening while in St. Mark's Square, Venice, Italy, several naval officers from the ship were intoxicated and made a scene that attracted irritated citizens and police. A scuffle broke out, and Langley joined the fray apparently to protect the navymen from the crowd. As a result, he was jailed along with the intoxicated men. Later, an Italian court cleared him of charges, but not after his having to spend time in the Italian jail where he received rough treatment.

The Diary:


Enlisted at Boston Mass. March 12, 1898 - Sent to Washington D.C. on the 17th, 98.

APRIL 15, 1898

In camp at Camp Heyworth eight miles out of Washington

April 19, 1898

Received orders at 4PM broke camp and marched back to Headquarters Arriving at 7PM

April 20, 1898

To-day at 1030AM I was detailed to report at Brooklyn N.Y. to join the Marine Battalion

April 21, 1898

War declared to-day. The Marine Battalion formed at Brooklyn N.Y. consisting of 623 men and 23 officers five company's in all one of which was the Artillery all under command of Leuit. Col. R. [obert] W. Huntington.

April 22, 1898

At 4PM Battalion assembled and amid cheers and farwells marched down Flushing Ave. to Navy Yard gate then to the dock and boarded the U.S.S. Panther and at 8PM left New York for Hampton Roads VA. receiving a grand send off all the way out of the harbor

April 23, 1898

At Sea. Arrived at Hampton Road at 730PM and came to anchor off Hygne and Chamberlain Hotels.

April 26, 1898

Left Hampton Roads at 830PM for Key West Fla. with the U.S.S. Montgomery as a convey

April 27, 1898

At Sea. Bad weather off Cape Hatteras. Sighted a wreck off Palm Island.

April 29, 1898

Arrived at Key West at 1030AM came to anchor off Navy Yard in midstream. We lay at anchor a month going ashore once a week for drill. We went through many hardships suffering from intense heat and bad food.

May 24, 1898

At 4AM we marched from the ship to the South East end of the Island of Key West, came to a halt and pitched a camp just below old Fort Taylor.

May 25, 1898

At 8AM Colors was raised and camp named Camp Sampson, all hand are busy making things comfortable.

May 26, 1898

A daylight a murdered man was found outside of Leons Salon, better known as the Last Chance.

May 27, 1898

Key West is under Martial Law. A running guard is kept at Navy Yard and an hourly patrol at night picks up all stragglers.

June 6, 1898

At 2AM we broke camp and boarded the U.S.S. Panther leaveing the same day for Santiago Cuba with the U.S.S. Yosemite as a Convey [convoy], overhauled a German Steamer, and a few minutes later run into the U.S.S. Scorpion carry away part of her stern.

June 7 8, 1898

Keeping close to the coast. On the 8th, the Yosemite fired on a railroad train carrying Spanish troops demolishing one car.

June 9, 1898

At 1030AM arrived at Santiago, met the fleet anchored off Morro Castle under the command of Rear Admiral Sampson. During the night a few shots were exchanged.

June 10, 1898

At 730AM we were ordered to proceed 40 miles down the coast to Guantanamo Bay and land all men and stores. We arrived at 1030AM and landed one company for scouts. On their return it was reported no enemy in sight.

June 11, 1898

All hands at 4AM. The landing began. The Inf. being landed first then came the Artillery, but before we could get our 3 inch guns ashore the shots was ringing loud and fast from the Spanish lines. It was our first attack and after a few shells fell into them from the ships in the harbor, they retreated back over the hills. The next attack was made about 930PM and what few men were on picket had to retreat to the main body under the shades of darkness. We still held our position and kept up a fire for four hours while the ships bombarded the surrounding country. As soon as everything was quite we started with our pick and shovels to dig trenches for the field pieces and in a short while had them into position.

June 12, 1898

Soon after day light we were attached again and this time the fireing was heavier and at a closer range. We held our position and poured a steady fire in to them. They were finely repulsed. We were reinforced by a company from the U.S.S. Texas. They were placed on picket while we marched in to get something to eat. We got half way in then the fireing began. After a few shots were exchanged we fell back to the main body. The firing ceased and the men hungry, wet and tired enjoyed their first meal, which consisted of hardtack and coffee. The officers decided to move the camp back about 100 yds. here we dug trenches for the field pieces and got a spar from one of the ships and raised the Stars and Stripes. The first to fly over Cuban Soil. An attempt was made by the Spaniards to get in our rear., but was unsuccessful. A steady fire from the ships kept them a guessing. In the last charge Dr. Gibbs, Serg. Maj. Good, Serg. Smith, Demphy [Dumphy] and McColgan was killed.

JUNE 13, 1898

Firing kept up all night and the sand fleas made it very disagreeable. Col. Labodre enforced us with 80 Cubans. At 1030AM another attack was made and owing to the use of smokless powder it was quite awhile before we could locate them. They had hidden in an old cemetary and was giving it to us pretty hot. Our loses was small theres was unknown.

JUNE 14, 1898

While burying the dead we were interupted by a few shots. At 1030AM today 4 companys was detailed to march five miles over a mountain where the Spanish camps were located. It was a most successful raid and the Spainard were taken by surprize. A volley was fired into them, they quickly returned the fire killing one and wounding three Cubans. The firing was kept up about a half hour, when they broke ranks and started to retreat in bad order. The U.S.S. DOLPHIN got in their rear made it hot for them. They started to scatter and 18 Pvts. and one officer was captured. A guard was placed over them to keep the Cubans from killing them. Their water works was destroyed and their signal station captured. With 200 Maursers [Mauser] rifles and a large amount of ammunition. We were badly broke up from the long march, quite a few was overcome by the heat. We were never attacked from this date and enjoyed a much needed rest until

AUGUST 1, 1898

At 8AM this morning wecrossed the Bay with intentions of entering the town of Carminera. The Texas Marblehead and the Swanee [SUWANEE] entered the river of Guantanamo and started to bombard while we were marching up to take their position. A few shots were exchanged and they raised a flag of truce over the fort. The firing ceased, and a Spanish officer came to our ranks and told us the barracks were full of sick and fever was raging. We withdrew and went back to the hill. During the opperations the Marblehead and Texas fouled with contact mines. The cause of them not exploding is unknown. There were 23 mines taken out of the harbor.

AUGUST 6, 1898

Embarked on the U.S.S. Resolute and on the 9th at 5PM left Guantanamo Bay in company with the U.S.S. Newark, Swanne [SUWANEE] and the Alvarado the latter being one captured at Santiago, enroute for Manzinallo Cuba.

AUGUST 7, 1898

Met the U.S.S. Hist, Oseolar [OSCEOLA] and Torpedo Boat Porter off Cape Cruze, they joined us and proceeded to Manzinallo arriving there the 12th after considerable trouble with shoals.

AUGUST 12, 1898

At 12, oclock a boat was lowered, an officer and a boats crew, ventured in under a flag of truce, and demanded a surrender, which was positively refused, They telling us if we didn't leave the harbor in 2 hours, they would sink us. About 2 oclock general quarters was sounded and the battle flags raised to the fore, main and mizzen, we stood in for range, The Newark opened with here Port 6 inch guns, while the rest followed suite. The Swanee [SUWANEE] started in four bells firing from all sides. It was impossible to find out how much damage was done as the smoke hung in heavy clouds over the burning city. A half hour gun was fired all night to let them know we were still there. A man, his wife and child was picked in a small boat attempting to leave the town, are cared for aboard the Newark.

AUGUST 14, 1898

All preparation are being made to land 1000 men, 600 Marines and 400 Sailors to check Gen. Pando's troops from reaching Santiago. The French Consul came out in a small boat and notified us that the Peace Portocol had been signed and to cease hostillities. Soon after we received word from Admiral Sampson to proceed to Santiago and then to Guantanamo.

AUGUST 15, 1898

Passing the destroyed Spanish Fleet off Santiago, we arrived at Guantanamo Bay at 1AM. Coaled ship and took 300 sick soldiers of the 34th Michegan to be left at Montauk Point.

AUGUST 18, 1989

Left Guantanamo at 8AM enroute for New York.

AUGUST 23, 1898

Arrived at Montauk Point sick soldiers were taken ashore and the ship proceeded to Portsmouth N.H.

AUGUST 26, 1898

Arrived at Portsmouth at 730AM and came to anchor off Kittery Point.

AUGUST 27, 1898

Left the U.S.S. Resolute and march to Camp Heyworth which was pitched just opposite the stockade, which then held 1600 Spanish prisoners. The people of Portsmouth were very kind to us on our return.

SEPTEMBER 15, 1898

A parade was organized in honor of the returning Marines. The following men were in line. Our Battalion led the parade. The men from the U.S.S. Lancaster and Anappolis, the N.H. Vol. Kersarge, Naval Veterans and soldiers from Fort Constitution. The Haverhill City Band escorted the marines. Parade started at 11AM and after marching through the town to Pierce's Island where tables were set and after a short drill, the men enjoyed a clam bake. After dinner we marched back to the Camp and enjoyed a much needed rest.

SEPTEMBER 20, 1898

At 5AM the marines formed a line outside of the Stockade, while 1600 Spanish prisoners march to the boat they were to go home on. The Pome carried them softly home.

SEPTEMBER 21, 1898

The First Marine Battalion broke camp at Sevey's [Seavey's] Island and bid farewell to Col. Huntington, marched to Kittery station and boarded a B & M for Boston and marching to the NY. NHS & Railroad. The odd fellows were paradeing and a band at every street corner made thing lively while the Church chimes played the Star Spangle Banner. We left Boston and arrived at Providence in time to catch the Boat for N.Y.

SEPTEMBER 23, 1898

Arriving at New York at 830. Each company going to the Barrack they were sent from and amid cheers and hand shakes the First Marine Battalion disbands. Crossing the ferry at Jersey City we boarded a train for Washington D.C. arriving at Baltimore the Col. Com. of the U. S. M. C. came aboard and said Pres. McKinley requested us on our arrival to report at the White House. Arrived a 6th St. depot and marched to the White House amid cheers and a pouring rain. The marine band escorted us and on our arrival the Pres. stood under the Great Porch and gave us a hearty welcome. We then marched down the Ave. to the Barracks and here we were again received and a grand reception given in which many speakers were present.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1898

Resumed duty at Headquarters and granted a months leave. Reported at Washington D. C. at the experation of my leave until Nov. 28, 1898, was then sent to Brooklyn, N.Y.

DECEMBER 1, 1898

Was this day detailed for duty on the U.S.S. Chicago and at 2PM this ship was placed into commision after a general overhauling her crew consisting of 410 men and 23 officers under command of Capt. P.H. Cooper. The ships laying here are the U.S.S. Indian [INDIANA?], Newark, Massachutts [MASSACHUSETTS], New Orleans and Atlanta. During Jan. Rear Admiral Bunce retired and Rear Admiral J. W. Phillips resumed command of the yard.

FEBRUARY 6, 1899

The Chicago left Navy Yard New York for New Orleans, La. Passing Sandy hooke a gasket plate blew out on the boiler. B.

FEBRUARY 11, 1899

Rounded Key West into the Gulf of Mexico, very rough weather down the coast.

FEBRUARY 12, 1899

Ship rolling badly, at 1030AM steam steering gear broke nearly running aground, a heavy blow and a heavy fog prevail, steering by hand, six men at the wheel.

FEBRUARY 14, 1899

At 7AM entered the jetties of the Mississippi river, at noon picked up a pilot and came to anchor at 7PM in the river.

FEBRUARY 15, 1899

Got underway at sunrise and stood up the river anchoring off New Orleans. The U.S.S. Detroit anchored two ship's lengths off our starboard quarter. The weather colder now than it had been for years. The river being blocked with ice. Many people visited the ship during her stay. Liberty was given at sundown.

FEBRUARY 21, 1899

Left here at 10AM, entered the Gulf at 5ooPM, a heavy fog and a rough sea. Birthday.

FEBRUARY 22, 1899

Washington Birthday. At Sea. Nothing happening of any importance.

FEBRUARY 23, 1899

Morro Castle sighted at 530AM entered the harbor of Havana and moored to a bouy along side of the ill fated Maine. The French Cruiser Sfax. arrived later, The North Atlantic Squadron lyeing here under the command of Rear Admiral Sampson, the U.S.S. Resolute under Capt. Eaton.

MARCH 9, 1899

Unmoored ship at 100PM and stood out of the harbor bound for Hampton Roads. The American flag is now flying on all Government Buildings.

MARCH 12, 1899

After a pleasant voyage we arrived at Hampton Roads Va., anchored off the Ripp Rapp at 1030AM. The U.S.S. Army Transport Meade arrived at noon.

MARCH 13, 1899

Left the Roads 9AM with orders to convoy the Meade to Havana with $3,000,000 aboard to pay off Cuban soldiers.

MARCH 17, 1899

Arrived at Havana Cuba with the Meade. Liberty given to S.P. class men.

MARCH 18, 1899

Left Havana at 1230PM arrived at Kingston, Jamica W.I. to get Ex. Secretary Sherman, he was taken sick while making a tour on the City of Paris [Auxiliary Cruiser ST. PAUL]. She was just leaveing the harbor as we were about to enter. Our Captain told them he would meet her at Santiago, the sea being to rough to move him. After three cheers were exchanged we proceeded on our course.

MARCH 21, 1899

Being short of coal we put into Guantanamo Cuba. Coaled in the afternoon and paid a visit to the hill where a year before we were camped.

MARCH 23, 1899

At 630PM finished coaling and left for Santiago.

MARCH 24, 1899

Passed the mouth of the harbor at 630AM could not enter on account of fog. Passed the destroyed Spanish Fleet [from the Battle of Santiago], and at 8AM entered the barbor passing the Merrimac. Mr. Sherman and nurse were transferred at 1030AM, Left the harbor at 1045AM with all possiable speed for the United States. Mr. Sherman being very low.

MARCH 28, 1899

Arrived at Hampton Roads Va. at 1215PM. Mr. Sherman improved wonderfully.

MARCH 29, 1899

During the AM Mr. Sherman was taken ashore on a tug and at 345PM we sailed for New York.

MARCH 30, 1899

Arrived and anchored off Tomkinsville L.I. at 4PM. At 430PM Rear Admiral N. L. Howison came aboard the crew were mustered on the quarter deck, his orders read from the Navy Dept. A salute of 13 guns were fired and his flag broke at the main. Flag Officers Leuit Poundstone Flag Leuit....Wittesey ...Secretary

APRIL 1, 1899

Underway at 930AM and stood up East river and tied up at Cobb Dock, aft of receiving ship Vermont for repairs and stores.

APRIL 18, 1899

Left New York at 1PM for Azores or Western Islands. Heavy sea off Sandy Hook.

APRIL 26, 1899

Arrived at Azores, anchored off St. Micheal at 10AM. St. Micheal is the largest in the group, 35 miles long and 4 to 8 miles wide. Ponta Delgado is the chief commercial town and the seat of Goverment. It population is about 20,000 British Consul. Harbor artifical Breakwater carried away by a tidal wave.

MAY 1, 1899

Coal ship, leaving same day for Gibraltar. Liberty given.

MAY 5, 1899

We entered the straits of Gibralter at 730AM came to anchor off Great Rock. The channell fleet have assembled here consisting off the following name ships under the command of Sir H. Rawson.

Battleships, Majestic, Magnificent, Jubiter, Habunild, Marrs, Repulse, and
First Class Cruisers
Nioble, Diaden
Second Class
Arrogant, Furious
Third Class
Pactolus, Pelorius, torpedo boat, destroyer Boxer and troop ship Edgar.

MAY 6, 1899

Received orders to proceede to Tangiers Morocco to claim an indemnity of $8,000 long due to the U.S. Government

Arrived at 3PM sauleted Moorish flag 21 guns. Sultans yard answered gun for gun with American Flag at the main.

MAY 9, 1899

After all business completed and money paid on demand we left at 6PM enroute for Port Said Eygpt through straits of Gibraltar and Mediterain Sea.

MAY 12, 1899

Passed a German Cruiser and exchanged salutes of 13 guns. Later sighted Galito Rock, Light house and Currito Light.

MAY 16, 1899

Arrived at Port Said at 1030PM, moored to a bouy about 100 ft from shore at the entrance of the Suez Cannal.

MAY 17, 1899

Received official visit from Capt of English Cruiser Hairier. French cruiser Caravaue was in port also at 830AM and English cruiser Immortilite came through the canal on her way home from Manila. She was the ship that supplied Dewey with provisions after the fight [Battle of Manila Bay]. At 545PM Gen of Suez paid a visit on board at 215PM commenced coaling and took on 660 tons.

MAY 19, 1899

Left Port Said, entering the Suez Canal for Ismalia. Passed German Lloyd steamer Princess Henrick with the Princess on board entered Lake Teruseb at 3PM came to anchor in the middle of the lake at 330PM about three miles from the city Ismalia Egypt. French cruiser D/asses/ir anchored a mile off our starboard bow.

MAY 25, 1899

Underway at 530AM entered Bitter Lake, at 147PM stopped at the City of Suez, left the pilot entering the Red Sea at 330PM

MAY 29, 1899

At noon passed Jebel, Zuber Islands and entered into the straits of Bab-al Mombe, at 4PM passed Periu light at sighted Mt. Sini

MAY 30, 1899

At 630AM we arrived at Aden Arabia. This city is supposed to be the warmest in the world. Coaled ship taking on 501 tons.

JUNE 2, 1899

Got underway at 5PM enroute for Zanzibar on the East coast of Africa passing through the Arabian Sea into the Indian Ocean.

JUNE 5, 1899

To-day a typhon came up all of a sudden. The ship pitching and rolling badly shipping heavy sea's fore and aft. We slowed down to 8-7-5 knots.

JUNE 6, 1899

Got underway at 915AM for Johana, Cormmoro Islands a French possession N.W. of Madagaska.

JUNE 20, 1899

Arrived at the Island of Johana at 8AM, sent a boat ashore for Mr. Wilson the only American - there. he came aboard, after his departure we put to sea enroute for Tamatave on the Island of Madagascar.

JUNE 24, 1899

Land sighted at daybreak and at 930AM we came to anchor in the harbor of Tamatave, saluting the French Flag.

Admiral Howison made an oficial visit on shore on his return we put to sea enroute for Delagua Bay, Africa.

JUNE 29, 1899

Steering gear repaired, arrived at Delagoa Bay at noon anchored about 10 miles from the city of Lorenco Marques saluting the Portugese flag.

JULY 1, 1899

Admiral Howison and staff will go to Cape Town overland calling at Petoria and Johannasburg.

JULY 4, 1899

Dressed ship at 8AM, fired a National Salute at noon, At 2PM the crew caught a large shark.

JULY 5, 1899

At 1130AM we left here for Cape Town.

JULY 8, 1899

A storm came up at 120PM. A strong tide and a heavy wind was blowing. The storm was so bad that we had to put into Morsle Bay for shelter.

JULY 10, 1899

Left here at 8AM and rounded the Cape of Good Hope. We the undersigned agree to meet at the Leighton House May 1, 1903 to renew the aquaintance of old shipmates.

H.J. White, M. Eagan - W. Langley.

JULY 11, 1899

Point Danger Light sighted at 1210 at 415PM we headed for Table Bay and dropped anchor off Cape Town at 907AM. Saluted English Flag. Capt. of H.M.S. Barracouta came on board at 845PM got under way and moored close to dry dock.

JULY 12, 1899

At 530AM we entered dry dock at the foot of Table Mountain and Lion's Head.

JULY 13, 1899

Admiral Howison came on board after his trip through the Transval.

JULY 17, 1899

At 8AM we were towed out of dry-dock and tied up to South Arm dock. The Governor of Cape Colony paid a visit to the ship with Sir Wm Butler R.A. Preparations are now being made for war. Troops arriving every day. The cruisers Monarch and Magecieune are lying in Limon Bay.

JULY 18, 1899

Liberty given to crew.

AUGUST 10, 1899

Left Cape Town at 920 for St. Helena. We run into a bad storm lasting three days.

AUGUST 16, 1899

Sighted the island of St. Helena at 345AM at 1050AM we anchored off Jamestown where Napolion died. The Gov. General came aboard and Admiral Howison visited Napoleon's grave.

AUGUST 19, 1899

Left St. Helena at 930AM for Rio Janeiro Brazil. S.A.

AUGUST 19, 1899 (this date written in diary)

Rough sea and heavy fog at 330PM we sighted Sugar Loaf, entered the harbor at 545 firing a salute anchored off Custom House. Met the U.S.S. Montgomery and Brazilian ships. Admiral Oquinda, Aquidabau and two gun boats. Three English cruisers Swallow, Flora and Beagle. Coaled Ship - 800 ton.


Left Rio for Barbadoes at 125PM. At 830PM sighted Cape Trio abeam.

SEPTEMBER 10, 1899

Rounded Cape St. Rogue and on the 12th crossed the Equator.

SEPTEMBER 15, 1899

Sighted Barbadoes at 540AM came to anchor at 7 off Bridgetown . Fired salute with English Flag at the main. English cruisers: Indefatigable, Tribune
and Arditdo. Coaled ship 17-18-19. 700 ton.

SEPTEMBER 21, 1899

Left Barbadoes at noon bound for New York. The first day we sprung a leak 50 inches of water in Comp. B repaired shortly after being discovered.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1899

Rough weather off Hatterass

SEPTEMBER 26, 1899

At 720PM sighted Barnegat Light, later sighted Naverick Light at 1130PM anchored off Sandy Hook in outer bay.

September 27, 1899

Got under way at 530AM and stood up the River passing the Olympia with Admiral Dewey on board returning from Manila, passing the U.S.S. DOLPHIN later with the Sec. of Navy on board. We came to anchor at 8AM with the North Atlantic Squadron under Sampson, he hauled down his blue flag and raised a red one as Howison is senior. The Olymphia [Olympia] came up the river at 9AM. Dewey paid his first visit to Admiral Howison, first made in the U.S. after his return. Our band played the Dewey March.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1899

At 1230 we got underway and took our position in the Great Naval Parade in honor of Admiral Dewey, procede up the North River to Grant's Tomb. On returning we fired a National Salute of 21 guns and at 7PM dropped anchor at the foot of 76th St. At night the ships were illumanated with electric lights. This was the greatest reception ever given in New York.


The New Orleans arrived from Hayti [Haiti]. Major Carter H. Harrison of Chicago paid a visit to the ship.

OCTOBER 2, 1899

Admiral Howison's flag was hawled down to-day. The ship proceeded to the Navy Yard.

OCTOBER 20, 1899

Capt. P. H. Cooper was relieved from the U.S.S. Chicago to-day succeeded by Capt. C. H. Rockwell.

NOVEMBER 16, 1899

Left the Navy Yard at 8AM and dropped anchor, St George L.I. at 845AM. The U.S.S. Kentucky came in about an hour later.

NOVEMBER 18, 1899

Lieut Comm. J. A. Sears and...B.W. Wells reported aboard as Schly's [Schley's] personal staff. Admiral Schly came aboard later and read his orders. A flag was broke at the main and 13 guns were fired. The Chicago is once more a flag ship.

NOVEMBER 25, 1899

Vice President G. H. Hobert died this AM. Flag was placed at half mast. At 12M 19 one minutes were fired and at 115 got under way passing Sandy Hook at 9PM.

DECEMBER 1, 1899

We passed a few small island i.e. Saba, St. Eustaius, St Christphor, Nevis, Redonda Rock, Antigue Monseruat Dominica and Martinique.

DECEMBER 2, 1899

The island of St. Lucia at 4AM came to anchor at Port Castrius firing a national salute with the English flag at the fore.

DECEMBER 3, 1899

A German man o'war came in port and moored astern. Woltka. Coaled ship all female help.

DECEMBER 4, 1899

Finished coaling. 606 tons and at 730PM put to sea bound for Bahia Brazil S.A.

DECEMBER 10, 1899

Crossed the Equator this PM, this being the third time, sea rough with strong trade wind.

DECEMBER 13, 1899

Sighted the mouth of the Paraliyla river at 930AM.

DECEMBER 15, 1899

Sighted land off our starboard bow and at 10AM stood into the harbor off Bahia firing a national salute with Brazilian flag at the fore. Commenced coaling at 830AM worked day and night finished on the 17th taking on 625 tons. Total eclispe of the moon on the 16th.

DECEMBER 18, 1899

At sea. Passed an English cruiser Amphion exchanged salutes 13 guns.

DECEMBER 23, 1899

Sighted Cape Polaris light at 7AM and Santa Marie at 1030AM entered the mouth of the Rio De La Plata river sighted Lobos island at 2PM, signaled to Ponta Del Esta light house, passing Flores island. 1867 miles

DECEMBER 24, 1899

Dropped anchor at 635AM ship aground, shifted anchorage. The Montgomery is in this port.

DECEMBER 25, 1899

Christmas Day in quarantine nothing of any importance took place. Government straight.

DECEMBER 31, 1899

We left Buenes Ayres at 830AM enroute to Montevideo Uraguay, the headquarters for the South Atlantic Squadron. 110 miles

JANUARY 1, 1900

New Year's morn at 12:01 16 bell were struck, and the sireen notified us that the New Year had begun. at 8AM 21 guns were fired with the Uruguayian Flag at the main.

JANUARY 6, 1900

Lieut Com. T. E. Green committed suicide by shooting himself in the head, he was buried at the British Cemertary with Naval honors.

JANUARY 16, 1900

English cruiser Pegasus arrived here at 8AM. We left the same day for La Plato Argentina, met U.S.S. Willmington [WILMINGTON] and Montgomery.

JANUARY 20, 1900

The Capt. of the Port sent word that the body of a man had been found 5 miles below here. It was the man lost from the Willmington.

JANUARY 25, 1900

The President of Argentine Republic paid a visit to Admiral Schly. Mr. Roca. 86 miles

JANUARY 29, 1900

Left port at 630AM and arrived at Flores Island. Yellow fever breaking out at the Mount. Distance 100 miles.

JANUARY 30, 1900

At 150PM we left Flores Island and came to anchor in the harbor of Montevideo at 6PM. The Spanish Cruiser Rio De La Plata is at anchor in the harbor.

FEBRUARY 1, 1900

Italian cruiser Christiphor Colombo came in port flying a Rear Admiral's flag.

FEBRUARY 7, 1900

The Revenue cutter Manning came in from New York enroute to Frisco. Italian Cruiser left during the night.

FEBRUARY 13, 1900

Finished coaling at 230PM. The Manning left here for Sandy Point.

FEBRUARY 16, 1900

English Cruiser Swallow came in port this morning.

FEBRUARY 18, 1900

At 6AM the Willmington left here under tow of Montgomery enroute to Buenos Aryes for repairs. The Montgomery returned next day.

FEBRUARY 21, 1900

Another Birthday passed in the service.

FEBRUARY 22, 1900

Washington Birthday. Dressed ship at 8AM fired salute at 12M. 21 guns. A reception was given aboard to the ladies citizens of Montevideo. The German, Chilian and Uruguaon legations were present.

FEBRUARY 26, 1900

We left the harbor for target practice. Mardi Gras week at the Mount.

MARCH 1, 1900

Ammunition afended [expended]
8 - 8 inch shell common
42 - 5 .. .. ..
144 - 6 pounders .. ..
34 - .. .. ..

MARCH 3, 1900

English Cruiser Swallow left this port and the Pegasus came in on the 15th.

MARCH 18, 1900

We left Montevideo with the U.S.S. Montgomery enroute to Bahia.

MARCH 22, 1900

Montgomery had to put in to Rio Janiero for coal changing her course at 12M.

MARCH 25, 1900

At 5PM we sighted a steamer flying a signal of distress, after changing our course we stood over and found her to be a French Liner Bretague from Marseilles bound for Rio. She had a broken shaft and had been drifting for 3 days carrying 350 passengers. We took her in tow at 600.

MARCH 26, 1900

At 220AM we arrived at Bahia with Steamer in tow. A heavy sea was running our tow line gave away and we had to use our search lights to find her. At 320PM we commenced coaling and finished on the 29th at 8PM taking on 703 ton. The Italian Cruiser Itrucia came in port at 8AM and fired a salute of 15 guns. Distance from Montevideo 1757 miles.

APRIL 3, 1900

At 915AM we left Bahia Brazil enroute to Ceara Brazil. The weather is very warm.

APRIL 6, 1900

We arrived in the harbor of Ceara at 345PM. It is a very small place surrounded by great sand bars. Distance from Bahia 761 miles.

APRIL 7, 1900

We left Ceara enroute to Maranham Brazil. The weather very warm and the sea very smooth.

APRIL 9, 1900

We dropped anchor in the harbor of San Marcus at 11AM and saluted the Brazilian Flag. Distance 374 mi.

APRIL 11, 1900

We left Maranham enroute to Para Brazil at 720AM.

APRIL 12, 1900

We entered the Para River at 9AM and at 1015AM we passed first light ship, dropped anchor at 520PM to await high tide to cross the bar. Para River was formerly one of the mouths of the Amazon but sediment has made two distinct rivers of them. Para River is about 40 miles wide at its mouth gradually narrowing to about 8 miles. It is full of small islands of which is a wilderness of tropical foliage with no inhabitants. The river is famous of being a rendezvous of pirates many years ago.

APRIL 13, 1900

At 9AM proceeded up the river to Para, dropping anchor just above Fort De"Blama" built in 1670, and still garrisoned by soldiers. Fired National Salute of 21 guns returned by fort. The rubber gum from the port is the finest in the World.

APRIL 18, 1900

At 2PM the Governor of Para paid a visit aboard, he was received with perscribed honors, given a salute of 17 guns. At 3PM we stood down the Para River with Montgomery following enroute to Bahia Brazil.

APRIL 19, 1900

Arrived at the mouth of Para River dropped the pilot. The sea is rough and a heavy blow is raging. At 1150PM John Hudack, Privat Marine Sentry of the Life Bouy was found missing from the ship, he was last seen by the Quartermaster at 1145 who went aft to read the patent log. His exact fate I fear will never be known.

APRIL 25, 1900

We came to anchor in the harbor of Bahia at 2PM with the Montgomery.

APRIL 27, 1900

At 8AM the U.S.S. Hartford came in port and anchored. She is bound for New York from Frisco with a crew of landsmen making seamen of them. The U.S.S. Wilmington came in from Buenos Aryes.

APRIL 28, 1900

The Governor of state of Bahia paid a visit aboard, upon his departure 17 guns were fired.

MAY 2, 1900

The U.S.S. Hartford left port at 9AM enroute to Barbadoes taking aboard all the sick men in the fleet. As she passed the fleet the rigging's were maned [manned] and they were giving three hearty cheers. Our band played "Ould Lang syne" [Auld Lange Syne] and Home Sweet Home.

MAY 5, 1900

Gave a reception on board to citizens and legations'. Many ladies were present, some of them some of them Americans.[as written in the diary] The Bretague' Captain came aboard again and thanked us for giving them assistance. She sails tomorrow for France.

MAY 6, 1900

H.M.S. Basilisk came into port at 330PM from England to join their Squadron and relieve the Swallow.

MAY 8, 1900

At 8AM we weighted anchor and stood out of the harbor enroute to Rio Janeiro. The Wilmington and Montgomery following. We left Bahia in the heaviest rain storm I have encountered during my service at sea.

MAY 11, 1900

At 930 we hove too and cast adrift three targets about 1/5 miles apart at the entrance of Rio Janeiro harbor. We went to General Quarters and practiced with 5" and 6 pounders. Montgomery smashed one target and we destroyed the other two. Sighted Sugar Loaf at noon. Ceased firing and stood in the harbor of Rio at 2P.M. firing a National Salute of 21 guns. Brazilian flag at the main. Portugeuse Cruiser Don Carlos VII and Italian Cruiser Euturia. Came to anchor close to Custom House at 200P.M. 81/2 fathoms.

MAY 12, 1900

Official visits galore, the Italian Cruiser Etruria left port at 6PM.

MAY 13, 1900

To-day is a Brazilian National Holiday. We dressed ship mast head fashion at 8AM with Brazilian Flag at main, at 12M. every ship in the harbor saluted with 21 guns (National Salute). The Brazilian Fleet consisting of Battleships "Deodora", "Aquidland", Richlion. Cruisers "Admirante Brown" and several small gun boats.

MAY 15, 1900

R.M.S. Thomas came in port home-ward bound, one of her propellars disabled. We sent a diver aboard for repairs. Received official visits from Minister of Marine, a Representative of Minister of War and Sect. of the Minister of Finance.

MAY 22, 1900

We were towed in dry dock at 8AM to have bottom sraped and painted.

MAY 24, 1900

Came out of dry dock and resumed our anchorage in the harbor at noon.

MAY 25, 1900

The Portugeuse Cruiser "Don Carlos" 1st left port escorted by a crowded ferry boat and a fleet of tugs. An American Theatrical Co gave us entertainment on board this evening, they being stranded in Rio Janiero. The Crew alone gave $329.00 to assist them back to the U.S.

JUNE 6, 1900

Manoll T'erraz Campore Salles President of Brazil paid a visit to the Ship, the rails were moored and appropriate honor were given.

JUNE 7, 1900

Weighted anchor at 7AM and stood out to sea with the Wilmington enroute to Montevidre. The Montgomery remaining at Rio for mail and for Mr. Qualtrough U.S.M. Leut Com. We went ahead all boiler force draft from 10AM to 2PM developing a speed of 18.5 knots. Lost sight of the Wilmington about noon.

JUNE 10, 1900

Entered the Rio De La Plata about 9PM and came to anchor for the night about 20 miles West of " Ponita Del Este" light house in 91/2 fathoms of water. The weather is cold and the wind blowing a gale from the West.

JUNE 11, 1900

At 9AM we proceeded up the River to Flores Island dropping anchor at 1045AM, we were placed in quarentine, and sent several bags and hammocks ashore to be disinfected and on June 12 were allowed to proceed up the river to Montevideo. The H.M.S. Pegasus is in the harbor.

JUNE 19, 1900

The Health Dept. came out at 10AM and released us from quarentine, the Wilmington and Montgomery also although they arrived three days later.

JUNE 28, 1900

Dressed ship at 8AM yard arm fashion in honor of Queen Victoria's coronation anniversery. The Fleet fired a National Salute at Noon with English Flag at the"... .".all day.

JUNE 30, 1900

H.M.S. Flora, Swallow, and Basclisk came in to-day for Commodor's inspection.

JULY 4, 1900

At 8A.M. the fleet dressed ship yard arm fashion also English Fleet American Flag at the main. At 1115A.M. The H.M.S. Pegasus stood out of the harbor homeward bound still flying the American Flag. At 12 M. every man o' war fired a National Salute of 21 guns, also the fort at the Mount. The Admiral and Minister held a reception on board between 2P.M. and 6. A pom came up and all flags were lowered except the America at the fore and main, all other ships following our motions.

JULY 9, 1900

The officers of the South Atlantic Fleet presented Mr. M. Botina with a solid silver candelabra, the cer. taking place in the Admiral Cabin.

JULY 10, 1900

The Admiral's staff, bound and orderlies were transferred to the U.S.S. Wilmington this morning making preparation to cruise up the river as far as Asuncion Paraguay. The Admiral's flag was broke on the Wilmington as he stepped aboard we hawled down his flag on lure breaking a Captains penant, at 10A.M. she got underway and stood up the river.

JULY 11, 1900

A disabled sailing ship came in port towed by two tugs, her three masts being carried away level with her decks, her hull being uninjured she struck a heavy gale off Cape-Horn.

JULY 15, 1900

H.M.S. Flora left port and went to sea at 7A.M. The Basilisk and Swallow left the Thursday previous.

JULY 16, 1900

Uraguay authorities blew a submerged wreck close to our anchorage, we felt a slight shock.

JULY 18, 1900

Uraguayion National-Holiday we dressed ship at 8A.M. yard arm fashion. Uraguay Flag at the main. The weather is stormy with a heavy wind. Fired a National Salute at 12M. 21. guns.

JULY 19, 1900

At 9A.M. we got underway and stood up the river for target practice dropped anchor at 1130A.M. The weather is too foggy for big gun practice so we had small arm practice. The Concul and Vice Concul is on board also a civilian from Rosain.

JULY 20, 1900
At 530A.M. we cleared ship for action, and at 9A.M. got underway and had
target practice with main and secondary batteries. Ceased firing at 1120., and
had Fire Quarten and General Quarten.

JULY 21, 1900

Weighted anchor at 9A.M. and went to general quarters and resumed target practice with main and secondary batteries. Excellent shots being made. At 830P.M. had target practice with secondary batteries with search lights to illuminate target.

JULY 22, 1900

At 918A.M. up anchor proceeding down river dropped anchor at Montevideo 1230P.M.

JULY 24, 1900

Coaled ship to-day taking on 365 ton.

JULY 26, 1900

At 9A.M. weighed anchor and stood up the river for La Plata Argentine. At 520P.M. came to anchor off Eusainada. We left the Montgomery at Montavidre, she being under sailing for New York to-day.

JULY 27, 1900

Sighted the Wilmington at 310PM. At 445P.M. she came to anchor and at 510P.M. The Admiral's staff orderlies and band came aboard also the U.S. Minister to Uruguay, who accompanied the Admiral up the river.

JULY 28, 1900

At 7A.M. weighed anchor and stood the river to Montevideo leaving the Wilmington to proceed to Buenos Aryes to go into dry dock for repairs, Came to anchor at Montevideo at 4 P.M.

The Austrian Cruiser "Donau" at anchor in the harbor She saluting with 13 guns American Flag at the fore. We returned this salute gun for gun. Austria's Hunguary flag at the fore.

AUGUST 2, 1900

H.M.S. Flora came in at 3 PM and anchored near us half masted colors and brick the Royal Standard of Great Britton at the main is coming to anchor in Memory of the Late Duke of Loxcoburg Gothe. Duke of Edinburough we half masted our colors acke.

AUGUST 4, 1900

At 1045A.M. The Admiral and staff went aboard. the H.M.S. Flora to attend Memorial Service's in memory of the late Duke. We fired a salute of 51 minute guns. To-night a Minstrel Show aboard about 40 of the Flores crew attended. At 11P.M. the H.M.S. Swallow and Basilisk came in from up the river.

AUGUST 5, 1900

At 130P.M. J.C. Kress C.A. Gardner B.S. Barthlow reported on board for duty in accordance with orders from Sect of Navy. They arrived to-day on a Lampert and Holt Steamer leaving New York July 5, 1900.

AUGUST 6, 1900

Half masted our colors in respect to the late King of Italy. Italian flag half masted at the main.

This P.M. the Austrian Cruiser Doran left port and stood for sea. The Admiral received from the French Steamship Co. owners of the Bretagane whom we rescued at sea March 25, 1900 a beautiful bronze statue representing Mars, The Goddess of War, as a token of their esteem for our services rendered to the "Bretagane".

AUGUST 8, 1900

H.M.S. Swallow left port at 5P.M. standing out to sea homeward bound. The weather is cold and frequent pompair is prevail.

AUGUST 10, 1900

The Italian Concul General paid an official visit to the ship, was received with prescribed honors..and received a salute of 9 guns on his departure.

AUGUST 11, 1900

The Steamer Slocum of the U. S. Transport service came in port to-day remaining a short while then proceeded to Buenos Aryes.
Admiral inspection to-day.

AUGUST 12, 1900

The Admiral inspected the crew at quarters to-day. A splendid day with a sea like a mill pond.

AUGUST 14, 1900

The H.M.S. Basilisk and Flora left port at 9AM for Rio Janiero, Brazil.

AUGUST 15, 1900

At 630AM the Italian Cruiser Enturia entered the harbor and without anchoring proceeded out to sea 10AM.

We weighed anchor and stood down the river preparing to exercise the ship. U.S. Concul [Consul] on board as guest of the Captain.

AUGUST 17, 1900

Returned to Montevideo and dropped anchor at 1120AM in 11 fathom of water We are the only man o' war in port at present.

AUGUST 18, 1900

U.S. Army Transport Tug Slocum came in port from up the river and anchored at 6A.M. Capt Hamilton came aboard and borrowed 2 rifles and 1000 rounds of ammunition to protect themselves going through the Straits of Magalean [Magellan]. She left at 1120AM for San Fransisco. The weather has been stormy for the last few days with a high wind.

AUGUST 21, 1900

The U.S.S. Wilmington came in port and anchored at 1120A.M. from Buenos Aryes.

AUGUST 25, 1900

Uraguaian Independence Day. We dressed ship at 8A.M. Yard arm fashion and fired a National Salute at Sunrise and one at 12N. and another at sun down. The Officers on board held a reception aboard from 2P.M. till 6P.M. Many civilians were present. The Admiral and staff called on the President in the afternoon. The day is beautiful Tempreture 72 at noon.


Very Stormy and disagreeable


The U.S.S. Wilmington went out for target practice at 745A.M. An officer from a Brittish Merchant ship "Slola" came aboard for a surgeon to assist the chief officer of Solala who had broken a leg. Dr. Whiting was sent to his assistance.


At 915A.M. The Wilmington came in from target practice. From 3P.M. till 6P.M. a dance was held aboard, many civilians attended.

SEPTEMBER 12, 1900

At 4P.M. The Wilmington got underway and stood up the river.

SEPTEMBER 13, 1900

The Admiral entertained the Vice Concul [Consul] and wife to dinner.

SEPTEMBER 14, 1900

Commenced coaling at 720A.M. and quit 4P.M. taking on 506 ton.

SEPTEMBER 18, 1900

The British Steamer "Cragmont" sent an officer on board for assistance. Dr. Wells answered the call.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1900

The Wilmington came in and anchored at 220P.M. from up river.

SEPTEMBER 27, 1900

At 6A.M. The Wilmington got underway bound for Manila. As she passed our ship the rigging was manned and thrree cheers given. The band played the Girls I Left Behind ["The Girl I Left Behind Me"] and Auld Lang Syne.

OCTOBER 3, 1900

At 930AM weighed anchor and stood out to sea for Rio Janiero.

OCTOBER 7, 1900

At 1:55AM sighted Raza Island light distance 30 miles and at 3 sighted Rio Janiero light, heaved too at 4AM till 7 and stood in the entrance coming to anchor at 930 AM. 15 fathoms water. Distance from Monteverde10:05 miles English Fleet "Flora", Swallow", "Sapho", Basilisk and the Brazilian Fleet the Aqundband being Flag Ship.

OCTOBER 8, 1900

At 8AM fired a salute of 15 guns. Brazilian flag at the fore, which was returned by the Aqundband American Flag at the fore. Saluted English ship salute returned.

OCTOBER 9, 1900
The 61st Birthday of Admiral Schly [Schley] during the day many official visits were made. A few civilians paid their respects to Admiral Schly [Schley] among them being Senor Camphor a Brazilian on leaving he was saluted with 15 guns Brazilian Flag at the fore. H.M.S. Swallow - left port homeward bound. The riggings were maned and three cheers were given by the English ships and the Chicago. The Captain of the Brazilian Ship Tomago's called officially on the Admiral. The Admiral spent the night at Pretroplis.

OCTOBER 10, 1900

The Adjutant General of the Brazilian Navy paid a visit to the ship on leaving he was saluted with 17 guns. The Vice Admiral commanding the arsenal also paid a visit on leaving he received a salute of 16 guns.

OCTOBER 12, 1900

Dressed the ship at 8AM to day mast head fashion at noon fired a National Salute with Brazilian flag at the fore. Celebration of the Anniversary of the discovery of America.

OCTOBER 14, 1900

Man overboard was picked up by our boat. O. K.

OCTOBER 15, 1900

The U.S. Minister paid a visit to the ship and later to the H.M.S. Flora.

OCTOBER 17, 1900
The German Minister to Brazil Count Arcovalley paid a visit to the Admiral and received prescribed honors.

OCTOBER 19, 1900

The President of Brazil boarded the "Riachueto" for Argentine. We manned the rail in his honor. We dressed ship mast head fashion Brazilian flag at the main.

The English Squadron weighed anchor and stood out to sea at 5 PM.

OCTOBER 20, 1900
A Brazilian officer called and thanked us for out part in the celebration

October 22, 1900

Half masted color, at noon fired a salute of 13 guns in honor of the memory of the Late Rear Admiral Sicara [Sicard] U.S.N. The ship's in the harbor doing the same. At 1 PM The H.M.S. Nymph came in port to relieve the H.M.S. Swallow on anchoring she half masted her colors.

OCTOBER 23, 1900

At 930AM the American Minister accompanied by the Brazilian Minister of Public Works and the Uruguayan Minister to Brazil came on board and was received with usual honors when leaving the Cabinet Officer received a salute of 17 guns the others with 15.

OCTOBER 24, 1900

John Lane T: 2nd class was dishonorabley discharged from U.S. Navy by a General Court Martial.

OCTOBER 25, 1900

At 915 AM The H.M.S. Nymph left port bound south to join the British Squadron.

OCTOBER 29, 1900

Pay inspector J. R. Ridfield and Pay clerk E. W. Gary and fleet clerk Rogers Michaels reported aboard for duty from New York.

OCTOBER 31, 1900

Pay Master R.M.T. Ball and clerk T. W. Spratly were detached to day and ordered home.

November 2, 1900

Brazilian Memorial Day - half masted colors and at noon fired national salute with ships end fort ashore.

NOVEMBER 3, 1900

This P.M. a reception and dance was held aboard many civilians and Officers attending Our Minister and Diplomatic corp were present and dined with Ward Room Officer in the evening.

NOVEMBER 4, 1900

At 2 P.M. weighed anchor and stood out to sea for Montevideo Uruguay. Forts Villigagon and Santa Cruz wished us all pleasant cruise we returned the signal with thanks.

NOVEMBER 9, 1900

Passed several Steamers standing to the Northward.

NOVEMBER 8, 1900

At 2A.M. sighted Polonia light. Cape Maria light abeam at 450A.M. St. Jose Iquado which bore West at 645 standing in the Rio de la Plata on the North shore at 9 A.M. coming to anchor off Flores Island at 210 P.M. Placed in quarantine. Got underway and stood in the harbor of Montevideo coming to anchor at 750P.M. in 4 1/2 fathoms.

NOVEMBER 9, 1900

At 8 A.M. fired national salute Uruguayan Flag at the main salute returned by for on shore. H.M.S. Amphion came in port at 12 M saluting with 13 guns with American flag at the fore. Salute returned.

NOVEMBER 10, 1900

Health authorities came on board quarentine flag hauled down at 12:40 P.M.

NOVEMBER 13, 1900

H.M.S. "Leander" left port for England

NOVEMBER 14, 1900

The Iriguayan Minister of War and Interior with two Naval Officers paid an official visit to the ship and were received with prescribed honors a salute of 17 guns was fired Uruguayan Flag at the fore. During the evening the H.M.S. Amphion left fort bound for Pacific Station.

NOVEMBER 16, 1900

The U.S. Minister Plenipotentiary to Uruguay and Paraguay made an official visit to the ship usual honors were given with salute of 15 guns.

NOVEMBER 17, 1900

H.M.S. Swallow. Basilisk, "Sapho" and Nymph came in port and anchored this morning.

NOVEMBER 19, 1900

This morning the son of Maximo Gomez of Cuban fame came aboard to pay his respects to Amiral [Admiral] and Captain.

NOVEMBER 20, 1900

The Admiral entertained at dinner the Commodore and Commanding Officers of the British Squadron.

NOVEMBER 25, 1900

H.M.S. Basilisk left port at 1130 A.M. bound for Falkland Islands.

NOVEMBER 26, 1900

At 8.30 A.M. the Britsh Squadron stood out to sea.

NOVEMBER 29, 1900

Thanksgiving Day.

General Overcast all day A. Pomparie all day. clearing somewhat in the evening. Col Swan came off and dined with the Capt.

DECEMBER 1, 1900

The British Squadron came in port and anchored at 11.30.

DECEMBER 2, 1900

The French practice "Duguay.trouen" came in and anchored at 2. P.M. Saluting with Uruguayan flag at the fore. with 21 guns and English Naval Ensign with 11 guns. all of which were returned by the Fort and the "Chicago" and "Floria"

DECEMBER 7, 1900

At 12.30 the French training ship "Dugnay trouin" left port standing up the river clear ship for action at 9.30

DECEMBER 13, 1900

Got underway and stood out of the harbor of Montevideo and up the Rio de la Plata for Buenos Aryes. At 10.30 passed light ships. came to anchor at the bar

Anchored off Buenos Aryes at 4.45 P.M. Fired National Salute Argentine flag at the fore. which was returned by the Argentine Man o' war

DECEMBER 19, 1900

Got underway and entered the channel, tied up to the dock. Officers from the Patagonia and "Sarmenta" came on board. The Capt. of the "Sapho" and argentine Cruiser Sarcremanta" called for our Capt.

DECEMBER 20, 1900

Unmoored ship at 8 A.M. and woped into dry dock at Navy Yard with assistance of the tugs. an officer representing the Minister of Marine and Commanding officer of the "Sarmenta" called on our Capt. both of which was returned.

DECEMBER 21, 1900

Eighty three (83) men of contractors force working on the bottom.

DECEMBER 22, 1900

The U.S. Concul General paid an official visit to the ship. The Admiral called on the Capt of the port and the "Sarmenta" Finished painting. all ready to leave dry dock.

DECEMBER 23, 1900

At 9.10 A.M. we were towed out of dry dock and entered No 4 Dock in the North Basin. H.M.S. Sapho lying ahead of us. Argentine Cruiser Patria and several small gun boats tied up to the dock.


A most beautiful day quite a contrast in every aspect to last Christmas. Many hundred visitors aboard the ship to-day. In the afternoon, the Admiral
gave a banquet to a party of friends. A large liberty party went ashore.

DECEMBER 27, 1900

At 5. P.M. got underway and left dock No 4. and entered the channel standing out in the river enroute to Montevideo. Passed a sunken schooner at 9. A.M. two miles off our Starboard quarter picked up Mont Cerus light at 3.55 P.M. stood in the harbor of Montevideo for anchorage at 5.15 P.M. Atlanta arrived from New York on the 24-inst. Saluted with 13 guns.

H.M.S. Bosilisk [Basilisk] and Spanish Cruiser Rio de la Plato in port. Received visits from commanding officer of the Atlanta and boarding officer from the  English and Spanish Cruisers. 37 men from the Atlanta.

- To Be Continued -


Pendleton, Robert - background information on Wilfred Langley's term of service.

Sacks, Margaret Farrow, Diary of Wilfred Langley (Diary and photo from her archives)

Support this Site by Visiting the Website Store! (help us defray costs!)
We are providing the following service for our readers. If you are interested in books, videos, CD's etc. related to the Spanish American War, simply type in "Spanish American War" (or whatever you are interested in) as the keyword and click on "go" to get a list of titles available through

Visit Main Page for copyright data

 Return to Biographies
Return to 1st Marine Battalion Page
Return to Main Page