The Obituary of

William G. Hackworth

8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

By Tom T Jones; Contributed by James & Cindy Kinas
Click here to read the history of the 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Click here to read a roster of the unit's dead
General:

This is the text of an obituary of sorts for William G. Hackworth of the 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
 

William Hackworth and child.

The Obituary:

The Reviewing Stand, by Tom T. Jones, Tuesday, October 7, 1930.

The late William Hackworth of Wellsville who was buried in East Liverpool recently with full military honors by members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of which organization he was one of the initial 32 men who formed the first body in Ohio, was given one of the few complete burial services arranged for its members, according to his associates in the alliance of former soldiers which he did much to bring about.

They were in direct charge of Homer Campbell of East Liverpool, the Adjutant-quartermaster of the East Liverpool Veterans of Foreign Wars.  He officiated in the absence of Commander Elmer Wasson, who was in Baltimore, Md., attending the national gathering of the body.  Except Chaplain Vaughn Weaver, all those taking part in the service were World War Veterans.

Indeed, a signal departure of the funeral arrangements was the ability of the veterans to have six men who served with Mr. Hackworth in Company E., during the Spanish American War as his active pall-bearers.  This is said to be almost impossible with World War Veterans, so widely scattered by now, as are many of the soldiers who served together in the units to which they were attached during actual hostilities.

These pall-bearers on this occasion were John Hughes, Vaughn Weaver, J.A.S. Ward, George Swingewood, Edward Wyman and Dennis McGarry, all of East Liverpool.  To bring this about 32 years after the time they had served together is considered as most remarkable.

It was at the old city hall in 1911 that Mr. Hackworth with 31 others formed what was then known as the Veterans of Foreign Service.  They were given the number “88” as their numeral designation though it was the first body of its kind in Ohio.  Two years later the name was changed to Veterans of Foreign Wars and the number “66” given the East Liverpool branch.  In all national assemblages the Pottery City body is known as “the daddy of Ohio”.

After the World Wars soldiers in it were added to those who had fought Spain in 1898, and added prestige and numbers thus came to the organization everywhere.
 



Bibliography:

Newspaper article dated October 7, 1930 (private collection).


Support this Site by Visiting the Website Store! (help us defray costs!)
We are providing the following service for our readers. If you are interested in books, videos, CD's etc. related to the Spanish American War, simply type in "Spanish American War" as the keyword and click on "go" to get a list of titles available through Amazon.com.

Search:
Keywords: 
In Association with Amazon.com

Visit Main Page for copyright data

 
Return to Unit Profiles

Return to the 8th Ohio Page

Return to Main Page